Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Horse in a Hoop Toy

This is a prototype piece I finished today.  It's based on an old rare tin horse in a hoop toy seen below.
As the hoop is rolled on the ground the horse stays upright and gallops.  Unfortunately my piece doesn't gallop as the head is too heavy and the center hole is off but you get the idea (notice the nail supporting the back legs so it doesn't flop over).


The piece is approximately 10 inches in diameter and is carved from pine and basswood.  If I can get a few of these done I'll put them in the Blue Genie Art Bazaar.

2 comments:

McDrunk said...

Fixed the piece by cutting it into three sections, hollowing it out, and sticking in a bolt and a couple of nuts to the backside. It's pretty balanced now but I'll have to repaint it.

M.G. said...

That was a quick correction on your part. I really like the carnival feel to this piece.