Thursday, November 18, 2010

Daniel Johnston watercolors from 1982

Daniel Johnston used to come into the record store I worked at in the mid-90s and trade his drawings for credit to buy albums (he'd purchase multiple copies of Beatles LPs that he already had).  I used to have around twenty of his drawings but stupidly lent them to someone who then moved away to a far off land (NYC) and I lost touch with him.  However I held on to four of them.  All of them are watercolors and date from 1982 and some are on the backs of menus to an unknown restaurant.   All are dated on the back and have titles.  One even has his address in New Cumberland, West Virginia written on it which means it was done just after he graduated from high school.  I have no idea what these are worth although his present day watercolors tend to sell for just over $1000.

I Save Ciggerette Butts For A Poor Girl Across Town, May 1982
Hey Soldier Boy, Sept. 1982
I Turned And I Looked And I Saw Myself In The Mirror And I Said "Who Is That Guy?", May 1982
Now I Know Why Ma-Ma Taught Me To Be True, May 1982

No comments: